Saturday, December 10, 2005

Smallville: Season 5: Episode 9: Lexmas

It’s a Freaky Life
Ok… so why did that girl shoot Lex? Was it to leave no witnesses? Anyways, I was kind of annoyed at some of these “Wonderful Life” parts. Lana and Lex!? (Not to mention that they didn’t look any older than they do at the present time.) Clark seemed to be a little absent when Lana needed to be taken to another hospital. He could have flown her there, and even if he did have that power yet (Not even then!) he could have at least super speeded her to the hospital. And if Lex’s ghost mother wanted him to change than why did she show him the bad parts of this future? (The death of his wife!) While Lois sadly remained absent from this episode, it did show some great bits of Clark’s future, such as his being a reporter at the Daily Planet. Chloe and him also seemed to be an item at that time. But what about the major death that’s coming up? Everybody from the cast seemed to be there, except Lois, and you know she’s not going to die. Also, after Lionel went to prison, didn’t Lex get all the money? How did Lionel reclaim the company? (Not to mention how he went from evil, to good, and back to evil again.)

Drunken Santa
The music was annoying! These parts seemed to be fillers and god bless Clark- he saved Christmas. I did find drunken Santa funny. (B@#$, B@$$, B@$$.) And the fact that the “real” Santa is a drunk and was going to throw himself off a building was very funny. Clark saving Santa by running on the side of the wall was a classic moment in the series, but I thought that Santa was easily convinced. Sure, two people may have Christmas spirit, but what about the rest of the world? And I hate the whole “The girl you loved since you were a kid,” bit. Clark- there’s a lot more girls right for you than Lana. From what I originally read the girl that told Clark “He’s not Santa” was going to be named Cindy. I glad she wasn’t because that would of driven me off the edge. There were enough references to other Christmas specials in this episode.

Decisions, Decisions
We all knew from the beginning that Lex was going to choose to continue on to his path of corruption. Though for someone as smart as Lex, he sure doesn’t know his Charles Dickens very well. He says he had a Scrooge-like experience and to secure his happiness he needs money and power. First off, if he had a Scrooge-like experience he would be more into the welfare of others. Second, he would learn that money and power is worthless compared to being loved. I did enjoy the scenes between Lex and his informant. I also believe it was a great ending, leaving me to wonder what information could possibly bring good ol’ Mr. Kent down. And does it have anything to do with Clark? Also, why didn’t Lex ask what it was? Overall, I may sound like I’ve been harsh on this episode, but I really love Smallville. And this was a good episode, though not the best.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

test.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Johnlocke,

Sorry for the 'test' but I didn't want to create a whole post and not be able to post it.

Here are my thoughts on some of the questions that you bring up...


Why did the girl shoot Lex?

I am pretty sure she was under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol and she shot him strictly for kicks and to be able to say that she did it.


Why didn't they look older?

I will grant you that they really didn't look much older than they usually do, but I did think that they acted more mature than we usually see them.


Why didn't Clark come to Lana's rescue?

This sort of bothered me too. But, as Clark had said, he was now in Metropolis, and since her condition happened so quickly, and Lex went to his father instead of calling on his friends, Clark evidently never knew of Lana being ill.

A question that I had was why didn't Lex go to Jonathan Kent? Lex had just recieved the "Kansas Humanitarian Award" and since JK was a senator, I'm sure that he could have arranged to help out Lana. Lex seemed to give up Waaaay too easily after Lionel had turned him down.

To add one more thought...I completely beleive that at that time in the future, Clark would absolultely be able to fly. One of the events that always went hand-in-hand with Clark Kent being a Daily Planet reporter, was his ability to fly, which helped him keep his job by coming up with 'scoops' on breaking news stories.


Why did Lex's ghost mother show him the bad things to happen?

Well, if she didn't, then Lex would have had no reason to avoid that future and we would not have him as a future villian. Also, if she didn't show him the full truth, she would have been manipulating and decieving Lex just like Lionel always did.


How did Lionel get the company?

With Lex leaving to pursue a middle class life with Lana, Lionel would just simply stroll right in and take everything over. He's a crafty guy anyway, so even if there had been any opposition, I'm sure he would have found a way around it.


Santa?

The whole Santa part of the story was very amusing and enjoyable. Anyone familiar with the comic character, "The Flash", knows how he always ran up and down the sides of buildings. It was fun to see Clark do this too.


What information did Lex's informant have on JK?

Actually, he didn't have any bad info on JK. He says this in the beginning and Lex agrees that if the informant needs to 'create' bad information about JK, that he should do it. At the end, this is once again agree upon.


Lex and Charles Dickens?

You would have thought that the whole "Dickens" experience would have shaken Lex loose from his path of destruction, but it only seemed to solidify it. I am fairly certain that from this point forward we are going to see a darker, more focused and villianous Lex Luthor.

A lot has to do with perspective too. I'll cite an example from Star Trek DS9...

Garak and Dr. Bashir are sharing a meal after a long mission together. Bashir tells Garak the story of "The Boy that Cried Wolf" and tried to explain to Garak that the point of the story is that if you keep telling a lie, eventually, when you need people to beleive you, no one will.

Garak laughed at that comment and told Bashir that HE had missed the point of the story. Garak says that the point of the story, is that you shoould never tell the same lie twice.

I had to laugh when I saw that episode because since Garak is a Cardassian, I could see him interpreting the story from that point of view.

I think that Lex thinks that he can still win Lana's affections AND have his money and power to be able to take care of her.

Another factor in all this, and one that is quite differnt from what Scrooge underwent, is that Scrooge still had all his money after he became good. Lex lost it all to become good. I would rather have seen Lex take over the company, kick his father way out of the company, and then let Luthor Corp become a philantropic organiziation, sort of like "The Wayne Foundation" in Batman. He could have been rich AND still be redeemed.

These are just some of my thoughts. I hope that you found some of it interesting.

Hurley108

8:47 PM  
Blogger Johnlocke108 said...

Your comments Hurly108 have made me appreciate this episode even more that I did before. Your thoughts were very interesting and you made some great points that I over missed. I have no problem with the test- I would have done the same thing myself. I once had this great big review on Lost- Orientation that I was going to post on its thread at TV.com but it turned out that the thread was locked! (Boy is it sweet that all the comments anyone makes on any of my blogs get emailed directly to me!)

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home