Thursday, November 24, 2005

LOST: Season 2: Episode 8: Collision

Episode Centric: Ana Lucia

Ana Lucia
While I do understand AL more, I actually found myself liking her less after this episode. I do understand that she was pregnant, that she trusted the guy, and by doing so lost her unborn baby. But her actions on the island were inexcusable. After killing Shannon she ties up Sayid, shoots at Michael, and uses the vines that was holding Sawyer’s stretcher together to tie up the poor guy who just lost the woman he loves. Probably what angers me most though was the fact that she shot at Michael. Killing Shannon may have been an accident, but if she had hit anybody then I would have wished her to be tarred and feathered. When she picked up Sayid’s gun I was thinking to myself “Great, trigger-happy Ana Lucia has yet another gun.” The 48 Hours had me liking and understanding Ana Lucia more. But now, maybe not so much.

Eko, Jack, & Michael
I thought the moment when Eko came up behind Jack was a little creepy, even though I knew Eko was just bringing Sawyer back to their camp. It could have just been the look on Kate’s face that really got to me. I also believe the scene when Jack was interrogating Eko was very well acted. Is it just me or does it seems that Eko is very good at being silent? Talking about him, I believe he is becoming one of the shows most interesting characters. When I first read about his character in the TV Guide it seemed to me like he would be a man who was already on the island and one who was connected to the drug runners. Though it does seem that he’s a priest… Another wonderful moment is this episode was when Sun saw Michael. The look on her face was priceless! Also when Michael and Jack were going to head off to the Tailies with those guns I think Eko really showed that his level-headedness when he agreed to take Jack to the camp, but only him and no guns.

Locke
One of the things that I thought really defined Locke’s characters was how he acted when he learned of Shannon’s death. He actually showed some grief, and Shannon being the one who tried to kill him! And than he almost forgot about typing in the numbers when he saw Sawyer! I have heard many people say he is not very levelheaded, so I bet they were surprised when he told Jack to “think this through” and when he also told Jack not to blame Eko.

Ana Lucia’s Fallout
Before all the Tailies had all trusted Ana Lucia’s judgment and leadership. But after her actions in this episode it was nice to see how the Tailies broke themselves away from her dictatorship (Such as when Bernard told Ana Lucia that he knew what she has done for them but he’s going to find his wife whether she allows him or not, and when Libby reminded her about Nathan.) I’ve always seen Eko as someone outside of AL’s leadership, so it didn’t surprise me when he went off to find the doctor on his own. (“I’m not doing it for him. I’m doing it for me.”) Sayid's such a great guy. Ana Lucia was going to allow him to shoot her, but he passed down the chance. ("We're both dead.") He even asked AL what happened to the guy that shot her. Now that's character. I've always liked Sayid, but I like him even more now.

The Others and Walt
One of the things I've really been looking forward to this season is seeing everyone’s reactions when they hear what happened to Walt. Michael did tell Sayid but that only left me wanting more. One of the things I'd like to see is Charlie’s face when he learns that there are others and that they weren't made up by Danielle.

Reunions
To me the best and most emotional part of this episode was the beautiful ending, partly due to the music fitting in perfectly with everything that was going on. This is the moment I've been waiting for all season. We see Rose reunite with Bernard, Sun and Jin embrace, and Vincent running across the beach to Michael. For some reason I really loved that last one. That dog seemed so happy to see Michael, and it's good for him to have someone in this difficult time he's having without his son. I don't believe I've ever cried watching a TV show, but this is as close as I've ever gotten. Finally, this episode ends with Jack running into Sayid, who is carrying Shannon’s body back, and the doctor notices Ana Lucia standing in the background. Why does Jack seem to care for someone he talked to for a few minutes in an airport? I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home